Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In Death There's Value

A remark that stuck with me for while now is that 'You guys are lucky because you've not really experienced the loss of a close one'.

The closest person that I could think of whom I had 'lost' would probably be my grandfather, whom I was only moderately close with.

The ironic thing with death, I think, is how the person who dies suffers the least. Sure, you can die the most excruciating death (by electric chair or firing squad or electric squad or firing chair or...), and writhe in all the pain and agony, but death cuts deepest into the hearts of those who knew you, those who loved you. Emotional scars that go unnoticed and wrenching of the heart that goes on indefinitely...

But as I pondered the other day, it's only when you take a look at death that you can find value in the things that really matter. Life is so precarious, and dying is really not that hard a feat to accomplish, admittedly. Have you ever imagined yourself dead, or dying, and thinking of who would be there to see you at your deathbed? I have. I do. (I'm typing on a wooden table, :D)

When I think about the undeniable fact that life here on the mortal plane is only as long as the LORD wills it, then the implication of it is that at any and every single moment, there is a possibility of me going six feet under.

Perhaps people should think about death more. We always stop short at saying anything 'unlucky' about ourselves, and utter the famous wood phrase. But really, it is in death that the value of everything that you ever thought you had comes into examination. Money's the last thing you'd want to keep, for sure. Your car? Nope. Your three-storey terrace? Can't be buried with you. In fact, everything that you are, and have, on this world stays with this world. I'd like to not have lived and died just knowing that I had a successful business. I'd want to know that I had lived a good life of time spent investing on other people, in building relationships and in sharing hardships. I'd want to avoid taking for granted the fact that I am alive and breathing. I'd like to say, before I die, that 'it's been great knowing you guys' :)

In death there's value.

Do you see them? Do you see the things of value to you?

What matters enough to you to outshine even the consuming fire of death?

2 comments:

SueAnn said...

*sigh* truly can't predict what could happen to us the next minute or so. What a post, especially when this issue has been crossing my mind for the past few weeks.

if i die, it's great knowing you too! xP

Kee Ken said...

Crossing your mind for the last few weeks? Really? I thought people would find it odd that I would suddenly post about death :D

Interestingly, I've been doing some pretty dangerous driving in the heavy I-can't-see-six-feet-in-front-of-me rain lately, but surprisingly I'm still sitting here nice and sound :)

I guess it's because of John that we're drawn to think more in this direction..let's continue praying for him ;D

Haha, it's been a pleasure to know you too, by all means.