Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kuantan Happenings

Since I've taken so many photos and the neighbour's left the modem on for some reasons, I thought another post would only be all too appropriate.

Coming back here with a P license this time around, I suddenly found myself at the receiving end of the car keys to my grandfather's Grandpa-mobile, which is ironically a Red Proton Saga Aeroback too! A bit newer than my (my dad's) Red Proton Saga Aeroback, having done less than 100,000 kilometers compared to almost 300,000 on mine (my dad's) car.



I think grandfathers are the best person to spoil you, if anyone is. My granpa is err..pretty old this year already, and had gone through the usual sickness routines, having just had a major surgery not too long ago. He smokes like any good cigarette-toting veteran, but he's the only one that I'll never mind to see him smoking. Most other people who light up in front of me would get two immediate headshakes and a flurry of sighs...he used to be a mechanic, and his auto skills were somehow good enough to feed the huge family of twelve healthy kids. And yes, he's hard-of-hearing, just like how they portray old folks in cartoon strips.

When he found out that I could drive, he suggested that I should use the car whenever needed. He went out and got me the customary pair of P stickers to put up after I agreed, then took me to a stretch of quiet road and asked me to try driving the car. Sort of like taking driving lessons all over again..I got in, and after taking my time to get used to the clutch and steering, drove all the way back home. He just kept praising me all the way in his characteristic "No problem lah!" mannerisms and seemed pretty happy to report to my mum that I 'passed'. Few things can come close to having your driving skills validated by your ageing grandfather, and I was truly blessed, I thought, to have him around still. I mean, who else would come up to you and say things like "hey, I've already bought the morning papers for you; hey, take the car keys and go for breakfast; hey, I'll fill up the tank so that you can use it to go wherever you want." *grandfathers rock!*

Happenings today were basically breakfast (very important over here), doing some hectic Chinese New Year grocery shopping at Tunas Manja, the local supermaket and hopping over to the beach to get some breeze and sand. Don't know if I'm just ulu, but there's always a bunch of interesting people who ply their trade along the walkway at the beach.


Nasi Lemak and Teh-C Ping again!


Ox plush toys anyone?




One of the few reasons behind our inability to boycott US products xD


Another one of those roadside artists, but he's amazing. And only ten bucks!


Fancy some sand-art from Jordan?


Weapons store selling pretty good-looking err...weapons. Which happen to light cigarettes.




Not too bad a day I suppose ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ktn ktn ktn...i wanna go home!!!hey, don't be like me k??using neighbour's net...hehe....but still, hope u have a great time in ktn....at least i would rest assured that i don't have to be a driver the next time u are back for cny...haha....

Kee Ken said...

It's not like you won't have car also wat, I'd sit in your Vios any day lah, heh. Chinese New Year's over so fast already...

Anonymous said...

yeah, i don't even have time to celebrate...an unusual amount of stress seems to be building up now...sigh...its insanely nostalgic la seeing those pics u post up...how could u do this to me??and here i thought u were my friend...sob sob...

Cassey Raey said...

nice =D kuantan, i went there just few days ago=D i went there collect see shells

Kee Ken said...

Hey Cass! Oh you went there? For what ah, work? Holiday? Kuantan's the best lah, cause it's my hometown, haha.

Where have you been?