Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Writing It Right

The problem with having too many friends who blog is that it eventually gets too difficult or time-consuming to keep up with every single one of them and you're forced to either rotate your choice of blogs (Monday read Crissy's blog, Tuesday read Jon's blog, etc etc) or you stick to a group of your favourite friends.

I would say that I'm too lazy to change my selection of blogs and usually check out only the same group of people (well the group changes a bit occasionally), thus leaving a lot of other blogs sitting quietly in my bookmarks folder. But every now and then I do take a good look at the blogs that I've not been to in a long while and if there was time to spare I would just pay some quick visits. That 'every now and then' happened to be 15 minutes ago and I made a quick trip to Crissy's blog to get some updates. And of course, I got more than I bargained for :D

Coming from my hometown in Kuantan, I always had it in me that my England was very powderful. I mean, I had good vocab, sharp grammar, easy flow in sentences and just about everything else that is needed to write up a 'good' piece of essay. But is only when I read, and glean upon writings such as Crissy's (sorry Crissy, but I needed a good reference point xD) that I know the real difference between what you call 'good' writing and 'excellent' writing. I believe English, like any other language, is like...the Cube in Transformers (didn't see that coming, did ya :D). When placed in the hands of ordinary folks, the Cube's power is limited. Give it to any one of the Transformers however, and you can see the endless potential that it holds.

English. Artistic Sense. I like. I have not.

Okay, so we're all made differently and wired with our own unique abilities, skills and traits. But sometimes, just sometimes, I wish I had a little bit more.....more ooomph.

Words that can come alive as you read them, sentences that speak more to your mind and imagination than to your cerebral cortex, ideas that pop out and leap around dancing and swirling with your own thoughts, messages that can come across as bright as day without even needing to show itself...

No, you don't have to be perfect to write out a simple blog post, but imbuing even minor nonsensical rantings with natural artistic creativity can make all the difference in the world :)

2 comments:

Janice SH Tan said...

I personally think you have displayed that oomph in this blogpost. There were a few sentences in there that raised goosebumps..such is the power! lol.

oh and must 'pong chan' my blog ar. :)
that is if you don't mind poring over my rather boring musings.

Kee Ken said...

A comment! (kinda rare)

Really? Thanks a lot for the encouragement, hehe :D

No problem, will edit my list of 'normally-visited' blogs then, haha. Your 'rather boring' musings? Got such thing ke? I'd like to think that you're not capable of putting up a boring post ;D