Saturday, January 13, 2007

I Yan Nees of life

At times, I wish that I have the ability to read people's minds. No no, I'm not under the influence of Justice League drunkenness, mind you. But rather, I just find it dumbfounding that human thoughts are so unpredictable. So hard to perceive and probe. What goes on in our minds is what goes on in our minds I suppose, our mental sanctuary where we process the thoughts that can get through to others and the things that can't possibly be known by others. If you think you know a person, think again.

I've had more than my fair share of surprises, one of which involved this sweet demure girl that used to be my classmate three or four years ago. She was polite and soft-spoken, and after our PMR we met again while taking our certificates from the school. The staff somehow managed to switch our certificates, so I ended up with her cert and she with mine. She was to leave for some place in an hour or so, so she called me up. I was at the coffeeshop and I don't clearly recall what I had said to her or likewise but she ended up scolding me like I just ran over her father and mother in a mercedes. It was really scary how she expressed her disagreement with the whole certificates issue, and we parted ways as enemies..sort of. Well, I had wanted to make-up and forget about the matter but at that time it didn't seem like an option at all to her.

Which brings me to this particular episode of Justice League where Jon Jonzz (hope I spelled it right) accidentally 'opened' his psychic channels too strongly, enabling him to listen in on all the thoughts of people around him but without the means to stop it. At the city, he was overwhelmed by all the blatant lies, angry remarks and negative thoughts that flooded his mind from those living in the city. He flew away to a forest, hemmed in by the how selfish, arrogant and self-righteous the very people that he risks his life to protect are. He was disappointed, to say the least.

But a search party that happened to be nearby looking for someone's lost daughter in the forests during that night gave Jon a new insight. He heard self-sacrificing, kind and truly sincere thoughts from some of those in the search party. "It's freezing cold out here, and I don't even know the girl! But I know how it feels like if I were to lose my kids.."."I've got to find her..no matter what. Come on, where are you (girl's name).......".

I was really surprised that what I previously thought was just a Saturday morning cartoon would have such a deep, resounding theme of the vagaries of the human heart. I cannot imagine myself having mind reading powers, because I fear I end up knowing more than I need to.. I guess everyone needs to have a certain degree of privacy, without which we would be stripped of the freedom of sharing only what we feel like sharing with others. I wonder how God does it, with all the six billion souls that he can readily tap into anytime, anyday to listen in on.....

1 comment:

Akira said...

wa,i hope i aso have mind reading powers le!XDhaha,what's with that former classmate of yours?haiz~switched cert only ma...hope u can tell me the whole story :pi wanna know more,ahahaXD