Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Birthday Presents

With September being such a popular month to give birth, it's no surprise that I can hardly keep up with all the birthdays throughout the month. At last count, there are at least about 7 people, and that says a lot because I hardly know of more than one friend's birthday for each of the other months. Of course, there's always the chance that my selective memory doesn't like to include birthdays in other months due to 'personal bias' towards September, haha.

With birthdays, there's gotta be presents. Cakes. Cards. Dinners, and what-have-yous. But specifically presents, because you can miss the dinner, skip the cake, forget the card and even forget the birthday, but there has to be.... a present :D

Back then it was always stationery sets. Or decorative items. Kau-tim, finish. No fuss there.

Now...mention birthdays and 'aiyo, what to buy leh??' rings in the head.

I always thought that presents are a means of showing someone how well you know them. The more you know someone, the more meaningful a present you can buy or make for them. But this year I've hardly had the remotest idea of what to get for even the people that I'm pretty close with. I wondered if it was laziness on my part. I wondered if I was starting to become indifferent to all the birthdays. Or should I just say 'no time'?

Last Sunday it was the birthday of a certain Lee, whom I had known all my life but had only really gotten to 'know' better in the last 4 years. I had nothing to give, no cards and not even a wish. Partly because I was busy, but I had nothing planned in the first place. Was I being plain indifferent, and just couldn't care less?

No, it mattered. I cared. I just wish I could find something as.... wacky and.. random, something unique enough. I'll have to keep an eye out for next year I suppose.

A happy belated birthday then, to Justina Lee, cousin extraordinaire :)

You can bunuh me now if you want, Tina :D

PS: Picture above taken during the recent 'I-almost-died' white-water rafting trip, for full coverage go to Tanjonny Enjoyed Rafting

6 comments:

eliselise said...

u didn't almost die!!! did u? lol.

Kee Ken said...

I almost la, hahaha. I guess I'm the only one who actually had any bit of difficulty with the rapids >.< Eh, your blog profile also private-ed?

Justina said...

thank you! :) oh and you weren't the only one who almost died laaa, i almost died also leh, hahaha xD

Jon said...

Nobody almost died la!!! But there were many who exaggerated drowning though :P

Rafting is definitely safer than bungee jumping! XD

Justina said...

true, but if anything goes wrong with bungee jumping you die in a flash, if it's rafting you die slllooowwwlyyyy :P haahahahah. ok lah, i didn't almost die lah jon. since you're so sure about it. haha.

Kee Ken said...

Justina: So it would seem that it was all an illusion that we almost drowned, hahaha.

Jon: Yeala, I wonder who were the few who kept saying they almost drowned, tsk tsk xD Bungee jumping sounds really fun wor, though you're right la about it being only a 5-seconds rush and costs a bigger bomb than rafting.