Sunday, September 10, 2006

Never say 'Yes' too soon...

Lately, I've been getting myself into all sorts of miseries just because I muttered the 'magic word' more often than I should've. The 'magic word' in question is the one word that seals big businesses, the one word that most people, if not everyone like to hear, the one word that most teenagers nowadays probably won't utter to their parents and also the one word that sometimes you wish you had not said when so hastily when trouble finally befalls you. The word being....'yes'. Just in the last week alone, I had somehow managed to put myself into such a tight situation just because of the above-mentioned 'magic word'.

Simon called me up in the middle of the week to ask if I could share something during TRU about the conference that we attended in SIB a few weeks back. So in my "Ah, it's gonna be a piece of cake" mindset, I said yes. No problem. Sure can wan. Then on Thursday, a teacher asked if anyone wanted to be the facilitator for this National Science Championship thing organised by Dumex (yeap, it's for kids). The reward is a national-level certificate (they say lah, I'm not so sure) and a handsome sum of RM25 a day. Wow...do you wanna join, Ken? Yes! Then later I realised that there's a briefing on Saturday afternoon 2-4 pm. Great...clash with TRU. So okay, never mind. I thought that I wouldn't get selected for it anyway. (They told me they'll choose who to go)

Then on Thursday night Aunty Collene called me to ask if I could lead the study on Acts for Saturday's TRU. Thinking that I'll just reject the Dumex job even if I do get selected for it, I said yes again. Yup, can lah Aunty Collene. No problem. No problem my foot it turned out to be the next day...I DID get selected for it because they couldn't find enough people. I had wanted to pull out but then I thought that I should be a man of my words, so I went along with it. By now I had almost wanted to kill myself for having committed myself to a thousand and one things without proper prior considerations. What to do, what to do? Anymore yes-es and I might as well hit my head against the wall...I was either going to miss TRU or the Saturday briefing for the Dumex thing, both of which was not exactly possible at that time...

Thankfully for me, the briefing got pushed to an earlier time so I managed to juggle between both the tasks without ending in disaster. But it did ruin my plan to go look for birthday gifts at Subang Parade, cause September just so happens to be a nice month to give birth I guess, (yes Simon, your theory is quite logical). But it was quite a lesson for me to refrain from making decisions too hastily, cincai-ly the next time. Always think carefully before you decide to commit yourself to something, be it helping a friend or doing a simple chore for your mom. If you are unable to keep your promises, you never know how much trouble you might cause others. Don't wait till it's too late to say no......

3 comments:

Akira said...

haiz~normal for u aled laXDahaha,well...if for me i'll say no for everythin':pjk la...it's hard to say "no"to some1's request...especially those who know u,hehe:D

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot for sharing that saturday. yes, i think i too have to learn to say 'no' sometimes. sure can be difficult at times because you just don't want to disappoint anyone. but in any case, i guess there's always a right time to say 'no'.

Kee Ken said...

Haha, no prob Simon. I didn't really need to prepare anyway :D (I just kept thinking about the whole SIB event the whole week and actually I had a lot more in mind) I'm worship leading this saturday!!! Hope I can pull this off XD