Saturday, November 11, 2006

Oh such fun..

Hello to everyone who's reading this. I know I'm way overdue in my updates, so do forgive me for that (I blame daphne for the late posts). I had wanted to blog about some stuff but everytime I end up not doing so for one reason for another. But I just today was very fun, so I just thought that I should not let go of such a nice topic to blog about :D

TRU TRU TRU...for the uninitiated, TRU is Teens R Us (no relationship whatsoever to Toys R Us mind you) and like the name implies involves teenagers. Today was the last day of TRU for this year and looking back, I am more than surprised by how much things have changed. Still fresh in my mind are those lonely TRU sessions, where going to TRU meant sticking around with Justin and having to bear being with so many strangers in the church. Of course, in Christina How's case, she's a social butterfly. She adapted in like what, 2 months (or maybe less) felt right at home after one year. For me, it was really dreadful..I have the most terrible communication skills on earth and after 9 years of being with roughly the same circle of friends, I found it an immense challenge to move on and start anew my social life. I'm just like that, an introvert most of the time and never the kind of person to reach out to strangers and make friends (which explains why the "Adeline" incident (for those of you who know it) was such an unforgettable experience from God).

I still fondly remember how I used to struggle with just memorizing everyone's name in the beginning. I mean, I'm just one person so it's easy for them to remember my name but I had to remember like 30+ TRUers and helpers' names. What a challenge it was indeed for an introvert like me..those were the days and if not for TRU, I would still probably be a sore introvert who sits at home and plays computer games everyday until I rot and die a painful death with no friends to mourn for me at my funeral . It really means a lot when you have TRU as your "backup" network of friends, so to speak. Friends whom you know are a better lot, who gives you support, who shares problems with you..not everyone would have special friends in TRU I suppose but chances are you would be able to find at least one, if not more...

And I could also see how other people have changed throughout my three years in TRU..take Hannah for example (hope you don't mind Hannah :D). When I first knew Hannah, she was really..cold. Yes,cold. I mean it in an honest way Hannah if you're reading this, strictly no offense intended. You weren't exactly the friendliest of the TRUers and I must say it took very long before I got acquainted to you, even that as "Crissy's sister" only and not knowing you personally. But this year, I saw the brighter, clearer sides of your personality: Firm, Friendly, Doesn't Like To Procrastinate, Caring, Warm and..well, you get the idea.

I also appreciate the fact that since I moved here and joined TRU, I gained an extra cousin. That "new" cousin of mine is Justina Lee Su Yen (hope I spelled correctly) :D I had always been very close with Justin since young (very young) but I just never got to know Justina at all. To me, she was just this weird, emo cousin of mine whom I didn't like to mix around with. Besides, I only see Justin and his family like twice a year so there's hardly time for get-to-know-each-other chit-chats.. But after I shifted here, I began seeing her more and more often because I'm always visiting Justin to play games with him. Initially, it took a lot of endurance to even engage her in conversation, and I meant it literally xD It wasn't easy but I'd say it was well worth it because I witnessed how she changed from being unfriendly to the crazy, creative and wacky guitar-playing, cheeseburger-loving and Joey Gilbert-supporting Justina that she is today (^_^) I don't know what was the catalyst that drove her change, maybe it's TRU, maybe it's not but my money's on TRU and it's amazing when we see that God's plans are way beyond our comprehension and more often than not leaves us awestruck and just plain stunned.

Next year, I'll be in college group..I'm not sure how it's going to be (although I heard that it involves a lot of fishballs and laughing on a full stomach) but I'm sure God has His own plans in store for me. Goodbye TRU, it's certainly been wonderful. Like someone said today, the three years that I spent in TRU are far better than all the other years of my life before it put together :D Three cheers for TRU!!!

7 comments:

Simon said...

hip hip hooray! (x3)

to our treasurer and irreplaceble secretary. you will be greatly missed!

God bless as you move to the college group (i've heard it's great fun too, especially the eating bits)

Shinichi said...

Thanks a lot :D But then again, I still think that only Daphne can wear the 'irreplaceable' tag,haha. Have a great year ahead as a committee member ya :D

Justin Currynoodles Lee said...

Wow.. Leaving TRU with a bang eh? =)

I must say I do see the positive changes as well happening in their lives. =)

I still remember it so vividly. During form 4 and 5 I would go to Crissy's place for physics tuition. I tried my very best to be nice and friendly by saying hi to Hannah. She just glared at me and continued walking to the kitchen.

*sweat*

Haha, I still laugh thinking about it. How times have changed. =) Look at her now!! Such a contagious smile. =D

Anonymous said...

whats with the fishballs? must be kathy's doing. don't let her brainwash u. stay away from the dark side. anyway we will miss u :)

alvin

Jon said...

Hey Ken, it's been great getting to know you these past few years. You're really a funny, funny guy and very genuine. And that's rare :)

To set your expectations right, College Group won't be as 'fun' as TRU. Yeah, it's smaller and more 'serious' so to speak... but it has its main purpose and that is to continue nurturing you.

I don't like growing up, and for some reason.. I don't think you would want to either (maybe cause we like comp games) But CG is essential for building on what you've acquired in TRU, to prepare you to survive in tertiary education (and all its temptations/misleading).

The generations are moving, and you will join Justin, Crissy and co. to provide the foundation for the wave of teens that will eventually leave TRU. So, set the culture... breathe into CG your zest and wit. Imagine if there was 'the older version of TRU'. That would be awesome, wouldn't it?

For what it's worth, I think you warrant 'irreplacable' ;)

Kee Ken said...

I'm just looking forward to it, Jon, really no idea of what exactly to expect..but I'll definitely try my best to 'breathe' whatever zest and wit I can muster into CG :D

Hannah said...

Aiyah, all the mention of 'Hannah'!! Muahahaha! Well, I'm so sorry that I was the way I was. A girl can't help but go through those "I-hate-all-boys" phase. And Justin, you looked NICE when you got all dressed up for MPO. I must've been jealous of you back then. I always wanted to wear a suit..