Sunday, August 24, 2008

What's In A Name

What or who do you associate with a name, if I may ask?

When it comes to English names, some of us are born with one, some gave themselves one, some were given one, and still some others couldn't care less if they had one. I fall somewhere in between all of the above, I suppose. It's a relief that I have the luxury to settle for a name so easily and not have to grind my gray matter coming up with one of those odd-sounding names like Crimson or Race or whatever.

I tend to have very strong visual imageries for any and every kind of common English name that you can throw at me. An example: (meant to be non-offensive)

Nathan - Indian doctor
Charles - Blonde European
Bartholomew - Big guy with a soft character
Russel - Rascal
Andre - Rich kid, mixed-parentage or European
Roger - Short guy, 3 feet tops
John - Average Chinese person, but has an unusual personality
Simon - Has curly hair :D

So it was asked of me that.... if I had the chance to slap an actual English name (since my current name's given at birth) in front of my full name, what would it be?

In a return to having interactive posts, I've decided (I hope this doesn't end up being embarassing) to ask you guys this: what would you name me, and what kind of imagery do you normally associate with that name? Fire away at the comments (^.^)

13 comments:

Elena's said...

Bill? ahahahahaha.... not sure why, but yea....it would be Bill, or Bob,.

シーフアンリン said...

I thought your English name is Roger... Haha, Roger Fong. Three feet tall? XD

Jon said...

Michael. Definitely a Michael Fong. Archangel of God's legion... how much cooler can that get?

SueAnn said...

Brother Bear!!!

Teeheehee. I think you'll guessed I'll definitely say that right?:P

Kee Ken said...

Elena: Bill? Bob?? My idea of Bob is that of a caveman, hahaha. Bill Fong huh...I'd end up broke pretty quickly if that name stuck :D

See Huang: Roger cannot la, had a friend with that name who wasn't any taller than my table at home xD

Jon: Uh...you don't get any cooler than that I suppose xD

Ann Sue: Well that's a surprise, never thought you had such a furry image of me :P

beathead said...

don fong.. donny?
because you look like one. :)

Kee Ken said...

Don as in the mafia kind of Don? I'll need a stripesuit and a tommygun for that, heh. I look the part ke? xD

beathead said...

haha. yeah the italian dons. Think that kinda fits you. Don't forget the cigar.

Ei Leen Lim said...

BILL FONG!!!

Kee Ken said...

James: I like pizza la, but not Havana cigars, haha. Can't imagine cosplaying as one though, I think mafias are kinda cool xD

Ei Leen: I hope you're implying it's ridiculous, hahaha.

Jon said...

After all this racket, there better be some finality Michael!

Anonymous said...

I thought of a perfect name the other day. Woe betide me for not writing it down :P

I'll get it back! It'll just take some hard thinking.

Kee Ken said...

Jon: So I have to choose a name? I like my name now just fine though, so I'll leave it for now xD

Sim: Yes yes, a million dollars for you when you can actually recall the name :D