Saturday, August 30, 2008

Remember God's Grace

I picture the Christian life as a race along a straight highway ala the AutoBahn over in Germany, with countless numbers of awesome breathtaking sights and scenes on both sides.

As we run, we encounter and discover all the amazing things that God is only too happy to show to us. Beautiful mountain trails with clouds swooping down every now then, rows and rows of trees blooming to the colours of the Photoshop paint palette and waterfalls that gush with the roar of a mighty earthquake.

But the thing is, I figure most people would find it boring at one point or another to be going in only one direction. Hence when we see the overhead billboard that says 'Rest and Relaxation 10KM -->' the curious in us steers us in that direction and off we go on a nice short detour. Who doesn't like a break from that long stretch of highway?

So it was the same with me, just a few days ago I took a detour and went off to another town to 'rest and relax'. Enjoyed myself there, and boy it sure was a nice break from all that endless tarmac grinding. Stayed overnight even, since the luxuries and entertainments offered were so alluring, so desirable. Come morning however, I knew I took the wrong turn the previous night. The town was desolate, and around me only withering trees could be seen. It's not the first time unfortunately, and I'm never short of amazed at my own stupidity at times.

Finding my way back to the highway is always the hardest. Especially for someone as direction-blind as me. I just don't know if I'm heading in the right direction, or if I'm just going towards another one of those R&R places, or if I'm actually going anywhere at all.

And there's nothing that I can do, except to pray along the way that God would show the way again, that He would send a signboard or two to at least let me know where I am. I kind of get the feeling that after detouring for so many times, God might very well just get tired and put up a giant flashing neon billboard that says 'Good luck, you're on your own from this point onwards'. I mean, I would.



For all my worries though, I found something to rest on.

All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in his mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved. Ephesians 2:3-5

I remembered His grace, and how He had never stopped coming back after me. A God who chases after our hearts, how stoned and foolish my conscience must have been to just walk away from the majesty that He constantly invites us into, and swim in the mud with the pigs instead. After all the gifts, all the blessings, all the joy, I find still myself in the wrong places at the wrong times doing anything but the right things to do.

Thanks for showing me the way again Lord :)

No comments: