Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Department Of Psychology

Letters letters letters...I've been getting a few lately, but one letter came in as a surprise. It was marked with the insignia of The Star at the top left corner at the front.

"Oh, I'm called for interview!", I exclaimed to myself half-surprised.

*rips open the letter* Dear bla bla bla, you have been called for yada yada at the following ABCDE and please bring along your this and that and everything else. Great.

The Star Scholarship, as offered by the company every year allows you to choose any university and course of your liking (in a long list they provide you) so long as you qualify for the said course. I ran through the list and it took me no more than 5 minutes to narrow my selection down to a handful of courses that I can qualify for. From that list, I gave it another quick run-through and in the end I penned down the following: Degree in Psychology from Sunway University College. Yeap. It was a 'since I won't qualify just simply only lah' kind of decision..

So when the letter came, it was a half-surprise. Half. I did expect qualifying for it but didn't think I would quite get it...

The interview took place at the Department of Psychology's labs, and I was actually late, late for it. Not too late, but as the woman at the Info Centre would say, "normally people would come a bit earlier for interviews." Of COURSE...even more peculiar was the fact that I was the only guy out of the dozen or so people who took the interview. Hmmm...

I think I fared pretty well for the interview, but the part that undid my brilliant efforts in the initial part of the interview was the last question that the interviewers (three of them) posed to me: "So, tell us what you know about what we do here in the Department Of Psychology."

*blankstare*...........................................*blanklook*

"To be honest, I didn't do my homework on that."

*pokerface expression* "Okay." *ticks something*

And that was the end of it. Really had no idea what the interviewer ticked on the paper, could've been 'Stupid' or 'Honest' for all I know but they also said "Good" at some point, so I don't know if I could offset the blunder with my earlier responses to their questions, which I thought were pretty okay. On the whole the experience was pretty kan-cheong and all, even though I told myself that it doesn't matter how well I do it because it's in the LORD's hands. I mean, these are Psychologists you're dealing with...and it doesn't help that I have this impression that psychologists can worm their ways into your psyche and then come back out in the span of a short 5-minutes conversation without you even realizing it. Regardless of whether that's nonsense or not, it left me pretty twitched, having to wait in the guest area of the laboratory (I came last, so I was the last to be interviewed) for almost two hours before they called me up.

They said they would let me know of the result in about a week...until then, I'd probably take the time to read up on what they do there in that department of theirs :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats!! hope u get the scholarship :)

i applied for the star ones too (my mum insisted on three. i had to fill THREE forms! x.x)

if it makes u feel any better, i got a call from HELP awhile ago saying i've been shortlisted for ADP half scholarship (or maybe he was offering it, i'm really blur) aaaaand he asked 'so what have u been doing the last few months? working?' *mumbles* 'no? and u havent started any courses? so u havent been doing ANYTHING at all??!'

matilah mati..