Monday, May 12, 2008

Ger-de-bum

That, my friends, is the sound of disappointment....

Today I had finally went for my driving test and while I wasn't very fond of driving I certainly didn't mind getting myself a P license to drive around. Off I went in the early morning, and I cannot imagine how they can force you to wait the whole entire day just for a 5 minutes exam...

My first test was the practical driving, and they sure took a long time to handle their paperwork and stuff, because it wasn't until 12 plus that my turn came around. I had been there since 7.30, and waiting for 5 hours without having anything to do (I brought an MP3 player but foolishly left the headphones at home) left me somewhat half-dead. Brain-dead. I'm saying that because I failed the practical driving test in a glorious 2-minutes time frame from the moment I got into the car...

Here's the breakdown:-
-enter car
-check mirror
-check seat
-check wiper
-check signals
-check gear engagement
-check whatever else there were to check

"Boleh jalan encik?" ------"Boleh~"

Floored the clutch, swapped to gear one, pressed the accelerator and *ger-de-bum*

Finger pointing at the raised handbrake, "Dua chance lagi." Right. Okay. Come on man, 2 minutes and the car is stalled already...

Dropped the stupid, STUPID handbrake then restarted the car. Turned the ignition key and *ger-de-bum* I had left the gear in gear one from just now, much to my unfortunate forgetfulness...

"
"Uh-hem, satu chance lagi" he said worriedly. "Boleh ke ni?" was exactly how bad his first impressions of my driving un-skills were...

Drove a bit, made a U-turn and just when I was gonna exit the driving school, he squashed the parallel brake and made my car stall. "You sudah over itu white line lah." "Hah? Tapi saya nampak lagi white line itu?" "Sudah....." And that wrapped it all up into the three-mati-enjins exit concert that I was given after having waited the whole day sitting on the benches trying to maintain my sanity.....bah.

At the very least I did manage to pass the slope and parking tests I suppose...I've got two more weeks to prepare myself and get there again into that darn driving school, and hopefully this time I'd remember to be more careful with the handbrakes...

7 comments:

Janice SH Tan said...

*reminisces on my yesteryear*
my 'taking driving test days' were days when I felt like I was such a sore failure.
All I can say is when we don't give them coffee money, they usually give you a hard time, finding the slightest mistakes to fail you. but, your handbrake case was a tad unfortunate though. about the waiting part, believe me, I know your frustration- waiting a hell long time for a few minutes of action. where's the justice in that?
anyways, all the best for the resit! :)

Kee Ken said...

No coffee money, but I got what I prayed for: a good examiner. A good examiner also can't beat an unreleased handbrake though.....

Hope I get a nice examiner the next time also...YEA LA!!!! Wait the whole entire day (had to skip work - money lost) and then go and get a "KANDAS" on the exam slip...

But still, thanks ;D

Anonymous said...

its ok, lots of people dont make it on their first time. i nearly didnt either because i was so blurred out during the jalan part. horrifying. better luck next time! (and remember to bring ur headphones?):D

Kee Ken said...

Will try harder the next time, definitely (I don't have a lot of RM150 to waste though, so I better get it done..)

No la, I'd probably bring newspapers. I can read one for about 3 hours, so I'll just bring along 2 days' worth of newspapers, haha.

Jon said...

Don't be discouraged in any way bro. In fact, there were so many things to actually thank God for!

3 things that come to mind:

Firstly, he didn't ask for a bribe.

Secondly, he at least gave you three attempts! Some nasty ones would have canned you at the first ger-de-bum. Not to mention, he actually talked to you - my examiner practically screamed and glared at me 'cause i didn't tuck in my t-shirt.

Last but most certainly not least, he failed you when you deserved to. My best friend once told me that if we cheat this test, we basically sign our death certificates. It couldn't be more true. I'd rather you fail a gazillion times then hearing that you'd terkandas-ed or kandas-ed someone else.

Patience bro. You'll get it right when you're ready. After all, patience is the one virtue that you'll need most on the road.

Kee Ken said...

It's easy to overlook these things sometimes...thanks for the heads up Jon :)

Yea, I kinda figured that if I could drive with the handbrakes still on then I'm not much for the real malaysian roads yet..

I'll try harder!

Anonymous said...

Gomen ne, Ken-chan. Ganbatte yo! Oboete, nanto ka naru yo!