Tuesday, March 18, 2008

And Now

Time for an update I suppose :D

So I finally got over the whole fiasco about my results. Many thanks to all of you who have either said something or did something at some point in time :)

Now I'm moving on to that troublesome phase of scholarship-hunting again. I did it for SPM and didn't quite like the fact that I had to photostat so many copies of seemingly unimportant documents (koku certs especially). This time around however, I found it pretty distressing that I no longer qualify for a good portion of the scholarships out there like I did previously. The standard requirement is 3.5 CGPA for STPM. Okay lah, so maybe they want quality. But it's kinda ridiculous that things are the other way round with SPM requirements. Credits and passes would suffice for many of them. So I found myself mostly overqualified in SPM but under qualified in my STPM.....nuts. I scratched my head asking why they would demand super-achievements in STPM whilst only wanting mediocre results in SPM, but in the end I that's the way things work I guess.

I've managed to narrow down my choice of courses and have even submitted my online application already, though I still have the chance to make amendments before the 24th. To be exact I only have 3 real choices that I seriously considered, but I filled in the extra 5 places with secondary options anyway to make full use of the 8 slots that they gave me. Initially I did have trouble trying to place my first 3 courses in order (they go by order you see, if they can't allocate the first choice for you then they'll have to look at your second one and so on so forth), because I had to choose between USM (penang), UPM and UKM (here). I wasn't sure actually which uni offered the better course, since I applied for environmental studies in all three. But the way I see it, it's kinda like how Uncle Kong Beng had put it during our CG meeting last week: of the many aspects that we weigh and consider when deciding on our career (satisfaction, money, practicality, making a difference in the world), what's more important is that we ask God where He would call us to be.

I decided to make that my guiding line, and so I am trusting Him to decide the fate of my uni application. I put the first 3 choices in the order I listed above, since Penang sounded like a good idea but ultimately God would decide which part of Malaysia would be the hunting ground for pursuing my degree. Of course, there's also the possibility that I don't get any of my first 3 choices, or any of them for that matter (hope and pray not ler) but I don't think I would be doing myself any good to worry and fret about that now :D

"So do not worry, saying 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own." - Matthew 6:31-34

2 comments:

Jon said...

That verse just seems to be cropping up whereever we go. Perhaps it is a collective message from God for many (if not all) of us. As we gain awareness on so many issues, there is the tendency to worry at uncertainties... and perhaps we have nurtured that - a worrying generation.

Praise God that HE is constant and able to overcome all our weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

I too, trust that He will place you where He sees best. And it will be so :)

Kee Ken said...

Having chatted with a teacher at my former school today, I think the difference between our generation and those of our parents is that we all have it too easy now. My teacher said she self-funded the teaching degree that she obtained at USM, and she was seemingly pretty proud of that.

Perhaps the reason we have become a 'worrying generation' today is because we are shielded from a lot of the hardships in life, and thus stepping out into the real world suddenly seems to demand a lot of maturity on our part...just some ramblings anyway from the two hour chats today at school :D