Monday, March 10, 2008

To Encourage

An excerpt from Philippians:

I thank God everytime I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (v3-6)
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness, that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God. (v9-11)

Ever so often I find myself in need of some encouragement to get me going in the right path and to remind me of the more important things in life. I've always considered myself more a listener than a talker, so I hardly know how to dispense words of encouragement to myself even, much less to other people. But God never fails to show me that He is always there to look after my needs, and it always amazes me how little things that brighten up my day could all be part of God's bigger purpose in trying to get a point across to me. If anyone knows how to say something without actually saying it, it's got to be God ;D

I vaguely remember that we were asked to write letters to ourselves while in HCC. I can't quite recall what I wrote, and in fact I had actually forgotten about the whole matter if not for a letter that turned up in my mailbox this morning. I wasn't very eager to read it so I left it aside until late in the evening when I finally decided to see just what I had wanted myself to read one month down the road.

But surprise surprise :D


I for one do not own any sort of purple-colour ink pen, and my handwriting was certainly much bigger. And I wouldn't have addressed myself as...the..way I was addressed in the letter *ahem* :) The contents really amused me, but more than that I was deeply encouraged by what the author penned down on a simple piece of foolscap paper. Even the opening was taken from Paul, fuh :D Thank you to 'you' out there who had finally decided to get off your lazy bum, haha. I'm sure that all the others who received it would be equally as delighted and grateful as well, if not overjoyed and grinning from ear to ear. And oh, right-handed people open their letters from the right hand side, if you didn't realize.

In the letter, the topic of STPM was brought up, and the timing was impeccable, seeing that the results would be out in a little less than 4 hours. Gosh. Sure is nice to know that someone who's facing the same thing (albeit a day later) can take the trouble to comfort others instead. Interestingly, about an hour later my ex-youth advisor (aunty collene) called me up to let me know that she would be remembering me in her prayer. These are gestures that really tug at my heart, and indeed I cannot thank God enough for placing such kind and caring souls in my midst..

Speaking of which, I would try my best to post my results out as early as possible. Of course, that depends on whether I would faint and need to be admitted to the General Hospital or not... xD

No comments: